So you’ve found your dream home and you can’t wait to get settled in. Unfortunately, before you can get to enjoy it and the excitement it brings, you have to move. There is such a lot to think about when you’re moving- so many things are up in the air and are calling out to be organised.
It’s said that moving house is one of life’s most stressful events – right up there with divorce! Here are 3 simple ways to get your move under control and progressing without a hitch.
1. Lists are Your Friend
During a move, make lists your friend and make several for each aspect of the process.
A few essential things to think about are:
1. Buying packaging supplies.
2. Finding a suitable moving company.
3. Securing a date so you know far in advance what timescale you have.
4. Cleaning- are you going to need to get some friends in to help you clean the house once all your things are out, or can you afford to hire a cleaning company?
5. Calling the electric, phone and water companies about switching and notifying them of your move.
6. If you have children or pets is it easier for them to stay with someone while you concentrate on the move?
All rights reserved by The Wooden Truth
2. Get rid of clutter:
There’s nothing more irritating than unpacking things that you really didn’t need to pack.
While you’re getting ready to move, go through everything and see what you can get rid of. There’s no sense in spending more money on moving items you just don’t want or need any more.
Go through every room with this in mind - be brutal . Donate items to charity shops, list them on eBay, give them to friends, or go to your local car boot sale. Just get rid of it!
Not only will it declutter your new home but it’ll save money and help with the psychological impact of moving - sometimes just letting go of physical things can help clear your mind, too.
All rights reserved by Longoria Moving
3. Do your research:
Moving companies vary. Use an online comparison site or ring round several before making your final decision.
Be sure to ask about:
1.Their fees and policies. Make sure you're clear on what exactly they are charging you for.
2. How much they will charge to help you pack?
3. Insurance is one of the most important things to consider when organising your move. Also, what is their protocol for storing your things? Always get everything in writing, so if there are any disputes, you are covered.
Considering these three things will help make your move less stressful and your new home all the more enjoyable for it.
Written by Penny Tristram