With 2021 starting with another lockdown, people have spent an awful lot of time at home of late.
If you are looking for an activity, or you want to freshen up your house in time for a spring clean, this is the time to act.
If you plan to sell your home at some point this year, decluttering is a crucial step.
At Hunters Forest Hill, we are firm believers in the importance of decluttering when it comes to listing your home for sale.
Decluttering your home before listing it for sale delivers the following benefits:
- Your home will look larger, which should make it more attractive to prospective buyers
- The process adds perceived value to your property
- A decluttered home offers fewer distractions to prospective buyers
- A decluttered property helps prospective buyers imagine themselves in the home
Decluttering in Forest Hill
The following shops and convenience stores are likely to offer a range of cleaning and domestic products which will help you declutter your Forest Hill home:
- Pound Plus at 39 Dartmouth Rd, Forest Hill, London SE23 3HN, with the store’s Google information saying masks are required, and that employees wear masks
- Sainsbury's at 34-48 London Rd, Forest Hill, London SE23 3HF, with the store’s Google information saying masks are required, and that there are safety dividers at the checkout
- M K Convenience Store Ltd at 137-139 Stanstead Rd, Forest Hill, London SE23 1HH
- Perry Vale Convenience Store at 182 Perry Vale, Forest Hill, London SE23 2LR
What motivates people to declutter and spring clean?
Of course, you don’t have to be in the process of selling your home to benefit from the decluttering process.
A study in 2019 asked people what motivates them to declutter their home, and give their house a spring clean. The following answers were recorded:
- To reduce stress or act as a mood booster – cited by 35%
- To create a minimalism style at home or to help build sustainability – cited by 21%
- More space was needed around the home – said by 19%
- To refresh the property for the spring season – listed by 12%
- To increase productivity – named by 6%
- To find and then sell unused items – cited by 6%
Lizzie Grant, is the founder of organisation site Declutter on Demand and self-proclaimed professional organiser. She spoke about decluttering as a great way to start the New Year or start a spring clean.
Lizzie spoke to the Independent, saying; “A wardrobe is a good place for many to start as it’s sometimes easier to pull out things to get rid of that are too tight or old. Make sure you sort them into piles and put into bags straight away. Create a ‘keep’ pile, one to donate (or sell) and then a recycling one for old clothes. Stick to this so that you don’t fall into the trap of deliberating and dithering over times.”
At Hunters Forest Hill, we know selling property is challenging, but we are here to assist you in the process. If you aim to buy, sell, let your home or rent property, we are active in New Cross, Peckham, Dulwich and Brockley, in addition to Forest Hill, so get in touch with one of the top three agents in London, and we will be happy to assist you.