Gather your paperwork

23rd January 2018 posted in Hunters News

Preparing to move? Gather your paperwork

You will need several documents before you can sell your home. It’s a good idea to do this early on so you don’t have to find the paperwork at short notice, and keep it all together in a dedicated folder.

We recommend:

  • Proof of identity and proof address (passport/driving licence and a recent utility bill)
  • Land Registry title deeds – these may be with your mortgage lender or legal company
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): a legal requirement, this assesses the property’s energy efficiency and gives your property a rating from A (the most efficient) to G
  • Guarantees for work carried out, such as new windows, roof or damp proof course
  • Planning permission or building regulation certificates for things such as a new boiler, extension, garage conversion and electrical work
  • Gas safety, boiler service and electrical certificates
  • Mortgage details
  • Insurance details
  • Utility bills (gas, electricity, water)
  • Council tax band and cost
  • Surveys from when you originally purchased the property
  • Leasehold documents if applicable
  • Other documents as applicable, for example if your property is a listed building
  • Special searches such as mining searches, if applicable


As with any project, preparation is key. Having all the relevant documents to hand will help to prevent unnecessary delays in the selling process and help you to achieve what you want – a problem-free sale so we can get you moving.