Landlord FAQ's Part Three - Landlord Responsibilities

4th April 2019 posted in Landlords

When deciding to let out your property, there are several considerations you have to consider. One of the most important though is choosing an agent that works for you. You need an agent that will work hard on your behalf, get your property let fast and manage it in line with the 145 rules and 400 regulations - giving you the least hassle. Part three of our series looking at some of the myths in the lettings industry examines some of the key things you need to consider as a landlord.

Do I need a property inventory?
A comprehensive inventory is always needed to support any claims at the end of the tenancy and to use at the three-monthly property inspections.  The deposit a Tenant pays is held in line with the legislation and in order to make a claim for damages etc the landlord must be able to prove the condition at the start versus the end and a good Inventory is the basis for this.

Can I evict tenants as I please?
The law is strict on how a property can be returned to the owner once a Tenant has taken a tenancy.  Legal Notices have to be served, such as a Section 21 notice. Hunters include this notice within the fully managed service.  We can also assist where other Notices may be required depending on situations.

Will my tenants look after the property?
Unfortunately not always which is why the property should be regularly inspected. At Hunters we inspect properties every up to 3 times per year to ensure any issues are spotted and resolved quickly for our fully managed properties.   Accidents can happen so you should also make sure you are properly protected – ask your local office about the various Insurances you should have in place.

Do I need an EPC for my properties?
All properties need an in date EPC when advertised for let or sale. For lettings properties, the minimum EPC rating is an E.  If your property falls below the “E” rating contact your local office for information on next steps. (Energy Performance Certificate)

Can I leave my Gas Safety Certificates in the property?
Gas safety certificates and EPC’s must be served upon a tenant on the move in day.  We ask Tenants to sign to confirm they’ve received the relevant documents to ensure all legislation is adhere to. 

For more information contact your local Hunters branch today.