Why Decluttering Works When Selling Homes
18th November 2019 posted in Sellers
We’re edging closer to December, and if you are not already in the festive spirit, you will likely be soon. There is a lot of fun and enjoyment to be had from the Christmas period, but it may be your focus falls on the New Year and making changes. You may not think so, but the festive period is an essential time for homeowners looking to sell their home, and if you want to make a head start on 2020 property moves, we are here to assist you.
You may have heard about the Boxing Day Bounce, but did you know it applies to the online property market, as much as retail outlets? Ever since Rightmove published figures about the number of hits their website received between Christmas Day 2013 and New Year’s Day 2014, there has been awareness that prospective buyers are looking for homes in this period.
Are people looking for homes over Christmas?
There are many reasons as to why buyers are looking at this time of year:
· They may have received new smartphones, tablets and laptops for Christmas, and they are checking their favourite sites
· The busy nature of Christmas and guests arriving may have led them to conclude their house isn’t big enough
· Spending time at home, where many people find themselves glued to their internet-ready devices
· Wanting to make a fresh break in the New Year
Therefore, if a lot of people are searching for homes at this time of year, you need to be in a position where you can reach them. It is advisable to have your property listed before the Christmas period so that buyers can find it. When the New Year comes around, and buyers have created a shortlist of homes they want to consider in closer detail, you want to be on it.
Right about now, you are probably focused more on Christmas decorations than decluttering. However, if you haven’t put your decorations up yet, try to start the decluttering process, creating more space in the home. If you have decided to get into the festive spirit early, begin to plan your decluttering process to make the most of the opportunity you have in selling your home at the start of the New Year.
Make the most of your home looking bare when decorations come down
Many people say their home looks bare about the festive decorations have come down, so why not embrace this, and declutter your home.
If you are yet to be convinced about the merits, here are some of the most important reasons to declutter your home when selling your home:
· A decluttered home allows buyers to imagine their life in the property
· A decluttered home makes it easier for the buyer to retain focus
· With a decluttered home, there is a greater sense of space in the property
· Photographs are crucial and staged homes photograph better
· Kitchen space is essential and decluttering helps you maximise counter space
· A decluttered home allows the property to take centre stage
All these reasons help buyers fall in love with your home, so make sure you prioritise decluttering when it comes to selling your home. If you are looking to sell your house, we can help. We offer valuation services, and if you would like to discuss how we can assist you, please contact Hunters Camberwell today.