The White House is an exceptional Grade II* Listed village house with the listing related to specific features in the house, such as the Tudor staircase and wall-paintings. This property has the prettiest of elevations, both at the front and back, and has been in the same family for sixty years. The acclaimed architect Raymond Erith, a classical architect known for designing and re-building 10 Downing Street, supervised works to the house in 1935. The current owners have been excellent custodians of this intriguing property, but the house would now benefit from modernisation. There are many notable features for those interested in history, including the Gothic windows, the Tudor staircase, wall paintings and a number of fine fireplaces, some currently covered.
Pictured in Pevsner “The buildings of Hertfordshire”, this delightful and charming home still retains the jewels of the past with hidden painted Tudor walls behind feature panelling. Pevsner is quoted as saying “….a delightful, white, early circa 19th century front of seven bays with a gothic porch and arch windows with gothic glazing bars and hood moulds. Inside, the house is older, with some wall paintings upstairs of circa 1600.”
On entering through the front doors you are welcomed to a bright reception hall which offers direct access to the beautifully maintained garden. The hall also has a coat cupboard and access to the large cellar. On either side of the hall is the formal dining room and drawing room with an additional third reception room which is currently used as a family room/study. To the southern side of the house is a kitchen/breakfast room with Aga and a door leading to the rear lobby. On the first floor there are five bedrooms, two bathrooms and a separate WC centred around the part galleried landing. There are two staircases to access the second floor where there are two further bedrooms and various eaves storage areas.
The White House is situated almost in the centre of the village of Much Hadham, which is renowned for its historic High Street. Beside the house to the south there is a short driveway which leads to a number of outbuildings. The very well established west facing gardens lie behind the house with a wall on the northern side. At the back of the house there is a delightful covered loggia and an area set aside for a vegetable plot and, within the grounds, a range of outbuildings providing storage, garaging and utility areas.There is a meadow at the back which is not owned by the house, but the house enjoys the benefit of a covenant preventing development.
Agents Note: Architects plans have been drawn up for a significant extension to the rear of the property, to replace some of the existing outbuildings and a pre-application meeting with the local planning authority has taken place.
The White House is believed to date back to the Elizabethan or Jacobean eras originally, with its interior much altered in the 18th century when the central staircase was formed in the current reception hallway. Its exterior was refaced in the early 19th century with a Regency façade when the gothic porch and windows were added.