One of Herefordshire’s most impressive 19th century Manor Houses, situated in an absolutely wonderful location with stunning panoramic views. Approx 11 acres. 8 beds, 5 receps, holiday cottage and apartments. Outbuildings.
SITUATION AND DESCRIPTION
Quietly situated in an elevated position amidst the beautiful Herefordshire countryside, Hermitage Manor nestles into the hillside at the end of a long private driveway (approximately 1km) and commands breath taking far reaching views over the surrounding organic apple orchards and farmland. The former summer retreat of the Bishop of Hereford around 1902, Hermitage Manor was constructed circa 1840/50 and renovated by William Brocklehurst in 1917.
More recently the property has been further restored and reconfigured by the current owners to now provide 3 apartments situated within the main building. Along with the two spacious converted coach houses in the adjoining courtyard, these combine to provide a lucrative self-catering holiday cottage business which has great potential for further expansion with the main residence offering scope for many additional uses.
The property itself is located approx. 5 miles north of the city of Hereford and is just a short drive from local amenities from the nearby villages of Canon Pyon and Tillington. The area is renowned for its beauty, country and riverside walks are in abundance, along with leisure facilities including golf courses, pony trekking and canoeing, Open gardens, country houses and castles iincluding Hellens, Croft Castle, Berrington Hall and Hampton Court all conveniently located nearby and within easy driving distance. Herefordshire offers many fine dining experiences with excellent local pubs serving locally produced food; the ‘Black and White’ trail, Book shops and antiques of Hay on Wye, the food lovers haven of Ludlow with its renowned September food festival, market towns of Leominster and Kington and the city of Hereford, its beautiful Gothic cathedral at the heart, and the river Wye running through the city centre.
From Hereford proceed north on the main A4110. After approximately 3.5 miles continue through the hamlet of Portway towards Canon Pyon itself. After a further mile or so, note a turning on the left hand side signposted Tillington 1.5 miles, continue past this turning for a further third of a mile where the entrance to Hermitage Manor can be found on the left hand side.
The principal accommodation is on three levels with to the
LOWER GROUND FLOOR
Entrance through the Sun Room/Boot Room with connection to Inner Courtyard and Boiler/Utility Room
MAIN KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM
well fitted with four oven Aga, country style kitchen with extensive granite work tops.
LARGE SITTING ROOM
with parquet floor, woodburning stove, book shelves and bay window with disguised ancillary entrance door to
THREE FURTHER BEDROOMS
beyond, suitable for alternative uses if required. En-suite Bathroom with Sauna and further Shower Room.
Situated within the
UPPER GROUND FLOOR
Which is also approached via an elegant stone stairway with wrought iron railings and columned entranceway are
TWO MAGNIFICENT RECEPTION ROOMS
With the original oak panelled Reception Hall/Room with ornate ceiling and french doors to balcony, open fireplace and woodburning stove with to the side a Drawing Room which also has a balcony and woodburning stove, ornate fireplace and mantel.
Off this is the Inner Hall which provides access to the Study, Dining Room and Cloakroom.
AT FIRST FLOOR LEVEL
which is approached via the grand oak staircase are the two principal Bedrooms at the front of the house each with their own Bathrooms. Three further Bedrooms again with their own Shower or Bathroom plus ancillary Kitchenette.
To the rear of the house, are
THREE ONE BEDROOM APARTMENTS
Two at ground level and one at first floor level. Each apartment with their own sitting room. Currently used as holiday lettings but could be readily re-incorporated within the main accommodation subject to the necessary permissions.
In addition is the original
COACH HOUSE AND COURTYARD
Which now comprises two large Holiday Cottages, each with three bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and sitting room. One of which is open plan and has its own garden area.
To the side is the original Coach House comprising Double Garage, Games Room, Laundry Room and an adjoining woodstore.
RANGE OF OUTBUILDINGS
Approached from the main driveway and comprising a flexible four bay mono-pitch building, adjacent to a four bay steel portal framed covered yard. These buildings benefit from three phase electricity.
THE GARDENS AND GROUNDS
Forming a truly spectacular feature with to the front mature terraced lawned gardens, overlooked by the main seating area with wonderful views beyond. Behind the courtyard are the original Kitchen Gardens with former heated Greenhouse/Orangery now comprising a terraced vegetable and kitchen garden, beyond which is an area of Organic Pastureland which also extends alongside the driveway and to the far side of the mature trees and woodland glades is the all weather Tennis Court.
In total the land extends to approximately 11 acres (to be verified).
Mains electricity (three-phase to the outbuildings), private water, private drainage. Oil fired central heating.
Herefordshire Council 01432 260000. Council tax band G.