Thornbury is a small yet thriving market town in South Gloucestershire located about 12 miles north of Bristol. In 2011 the national census recorded a population of 12,063.
There is a busy High Street, a shopping centre, two supermarkets and many smaller shops. The town has numerous places of worship, with many pubs, coffee shops and independent restaurants. We are fortunate enough to enjoy an excellent choice of very well regarded schools including the high achieving “Castle” Comprehensive School which has a popular sixth form.
There is a great deal of open space and beautiful countryside surrounding Thornbury. The local Mundy Playing Fields were donated to Thornbury by Mrs Violet Mundy in 1937 and feature a children's play area and sports ground. Nearby is the Thornbury golf club, a leisure centre and skate park. Furthermore, Thornbury has a football club and successful rugby club.
For active families that enjoy hobbies, there are various clubs that include musical and drama groups performing in Thornbury. The largest venues are the Armstrong Hall near the town centre, seating 350, and the adjacent Cossham Hall, seating 140. Performances also take place in church halls and occasionally in the leisure centre.
One of the town's notable features is its Tudor Castle which stands adjacent to St Mary’s Church. It was originally constructed as a home for Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham. Cardinal Wolsey had the Duke beheaded for treason in 1521, after which the castle was confiscated by King Henry VIII, who himself stayed there for ten days in 1535 with Anne Boleyn.
Sadly Thornbury Castle fell into disrepair after the English Civil War, but was renovated in 1824 by the Howard Family. It now serves as a 27-room luxury hotel and restaurant.